Sunday, July 05, 2009

The Friday 56 3 July 2009

Yes, I know it’s actually the wee hours of Sunday morning – I’ve been busy – more about that later.

The Rules:

* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Something a little different this week – the book closest to me is the one I was reading a few minutes ago – and it happens to be on the hard drive of my computer.

WITH THE LIGHTNINGS by David Drake

Adele nodded curt assent. She was angry and frustrated, but it would be wrong to take it out on the aide. To prod the woman verbally would be pointless cruelty—safe enough because the aide was a flunky and unable to respond, just as a big carnivore behind bars can be teased. The aide was as much a victim of Markos, and of life, as Adele herself was.

It’s one of several I downloaded this past week from the Baen Free Library. This is a fantastic resource, and one I highly recommend. Take a moment to read Eric Flint’s introduction to the library. It explains the concept far more entertainingly than I ever could.

And since a Kindle is one of the things on my wish list, I’m pleased to note that all the free books are available in that format, as well.

BTW, I finished all four books by John Scalzi that I ordered from Amazon last week - good reads all, and I'll be looking for more by this author. (Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony and Zoe's Tale)

And how, you may ask, have I been so busy that I’m two days late with this posting? One trip to the Farmers Market of Alabama, three huge bags of vegetables and two days of shelling beans and getting ready to can same, that’s how. I will snap some pics of the finished product later this afternoon and share them later. Right now, it’s time to get some sleep so, Good Night!

2 comments:

Lorie Shewbridge said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog to leave a comment.... I think it is funny that your got a book with ALL it's pages blank -- I've never heard of that, you can bet that I'll make sure I check every book I purchase from now on... Good luck with your new blog... I love having comments, I get so excited, so thank you again for stopping by.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend and the rest of the summer!

Suzanne said...

Interesting quote, makes me curious to see the rest.